Friday, August 20, 2010

Operation Optimism & The Little Black Book

I admit it.  I'm an office supplies junkie.  I love pencils, organizers, Post-Its, calendars, Day-Timers (that's the "old school" word for your Outlook calendar).   A quiet afternoon in OfficeMax is my idea of good time.  There are few things in this world that smell as great as a brand new notebook.   Strange?   Yes, I know.   And it's back-to-school season so Lord Help Me.   

At a conference in Vienna two years ago I scored a sweet little black moleskin notebook.   The kind that fits in your pocket with the elastic band around the cover.    I was so psyched!   I imagined myself filling it up with all kinds of smart thoughts and plans.    The key word there is "imagine" because I didn't do anything with it.  It sat on my desk for two years.   Empty.   I'd occasionally admire it but never took any action.

As I get older (uh, I mean "more mature") I increasingly realize that progress is more about action than intention.  Inspiration must give way to perspiration.   And so, finally, 21 days ago I deployed the moleskin to the front lines.   Its mission was to capture three good things every day.    Three good things.   Every day.   No exceptions.

I read that if you write down three good things that happened to you every day that you can improve your sense of optimism.   Kinda like building your optimism muscles.   In addition to the importance of action I've also learned that optimism is equally valuable.   So, the little black book was enlisted as the tool for Operation Optimism.   

I also decided to "commit" to the operation for 21 days which I've read is the exact number of days (who figured that out?) to form (or break) a habit.  The first 21 pages of the little black book now has three good things jotted down.  On every page.    Good workouts.   Hugs from my girls.   Good meetings at work.   Confident presentations.   Good preparation.    A nice sunset on the beach.    Every page.   Every day.    Even the the days that weren't so great, I managed to harvest three good things. 

Is it working?   I think so.   At least I can tell you it's definitely a habit.   I always make sure I know where my wallet, my cars keys, and the little black book are.   It's kinda part of me.   Is it making me more more optimistic?     All I can say is that I definitely know that three good things will happen today!  

The little black book has about 100 more pages and I'm hopeful (hey, that's optimistic!) they'll be filled and dog eared when I get to the end.

--------
TomMc

No comments:

Post a Comment